Jamestown Reopens This Month
Woohoo! Jamestown reopens this month! As Virginia moves into phase two of its plan, Jamestown Settlement and the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown are anticipated to reopen on Wednesday, June 24!
Of course, adjustments have been made to museum operations to ensure the safety of visitors to this important historic site. Enhanced cleaning and social-distancing protocols will be followed in the outdoor living history areas and gallery exhibits.
Here’s what we know:
- All employees will receive training on safety protocols and social-distancing procedures based on guidance from government and public health officials.
- Masks will be required indoors and encouraged in outdoor public spaces for visitors and staff.
- Social distancing of at least 6 feet is encouraged between guests, individual family groups and staff. Informational videos and signage throughout the museums will reinforce protective protocols and help inform visitor decisions.
- In the outdoor living-history areas, capacity in the re-created buildings and structures (including access to one of the three ships) will be limited to a certain number of visitors at a time. Signage will indicate the number of visitors allowed at one time.
- In the indoor exhibition galleries, use of interactive touch screens will be prohibited.
- Capacity in the museum theater and gallery films will be limited to a certain number of guests at a time.
- Plexiglass shields will be placed in front of registers and public-facing counters and cash registers in the visitor services areas, gift shops and museum cafes.
- Additional hand-sanitizing stations will be available throughout the museums to supplement handwashing.
- Maintain increased efforts to disinfect high-touch areas including surfaces, doorknobs and stairwells, in both the exhibition galleries and outdoor living-history areas.
- The museums’ indoor galleries and films will be open with limited capacities from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. through August 15. Outdoor living-history areas are accessible for visitors from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Additional details will be available soon, including plans for summer programming and special events.
While we are very excited Jamestown Reopens this month, your safety is paramount as businesses slowly reopen, and the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation will continue to closely monitor public-health guidance and work closely with government agencies, healthcare and tourism organizations. All plans and safety protocols are aligned with recommendations by Virginia Governor’s Office, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Virginia Department of Health and other agencies. For more information, visit historyisfun.org/update.