King’s Creek February Challenge
Did you know that “February” comes from the Latin word februum, which means purification? That’s right, the second month of the Gregorian calendar is intended to be a time of self-betterment, with a focus on cleansing your life of all of its toxins. We’re trying this out for 2020 and calling it the King’s Creek February Challenge.
It feels fairly logical, the start of the new year we have new goals, intentions and resolutions. Naturally we should want to continue with this momentum in the following month and cut out the bad habits to set our year on track!
However, more frequently this is not the case, as most resolutions lose their resolve by mid-February. We want to help keep you motivated and propel you forward towards your goals. That’s why we have come up with a list of simple, attainable goals you can set for yourself throughout the month of February. You can do these at home, on the go— or during your stay with us!
WEEK 1: February 1 – February 7
For the the first week, set tiny goals that are very achievable and will help you gain some momentum for the start of February! For instance:
- Make your bed each morning It’s a miniscule task, but can make a difference in your daily attitude and perspective. Starting with an accomplished goal helps you embrace the day and feel ready to tackle bigger tasks.
- Find at least 20 minutes to set aside for exercise at least three days out of the week. Working up a sweat will not only benefit your health, but it will also give you a sense of satisfaction from your hard work and elevate your mood! If you’re staying with King’s Creek, you can enjoy state-of-the-art Cybex equipment in their Fitness Center, or swim laps in the Aquatic Center for an amazing workout during your stay in Williamsburg!
- Close out your week with some time for reflection. Consider keeping a journal to write a short entry recapping how the first week of goals made you feel. Are you feeling pleased with your progress? Are you motivated for the following week? What goals do you have in mind for week 2? Simply write any thoughts, feelings, notions or ideas you have before embarking on the next set of challenges!
WEEK 2: February 8 – February 14
Keep the good habits going with week 2’s brand new goals:
- Start making some simple healthy habits like drinking 8 glasses of water and enjoying healthy lunches throughout the week. If you’re looking for some places to visit around Williamsburg, we recommend Lokal, Food for Thought or Free Range Juice!
- Find a beautiful landmark or site to visit! Find something awe-inspiring that will make you appreciative of your life and this period of growth! If you’re staying with King’s Creek, we recommend visiting the Governor’s Palace! This symbol of Royal Authority was built to impress, and will allow you to experience the grandeur of pre-revolution government.
- Valentine’s Day falls on Friday, February 14th, making our last goal of the week to tell a loved one how much they mean to you! Dedicate the weekend to appreciating the people, places and things all around you! Finding moments for recognition and gratitude is a great way to care for your overall happiness and well-being.
WEEK 3: February 15 – February 21
For week 3:
- Challenge yourself to try something that scares you. Perhaps it’s signing up for a new dance class, going to a karaoke night with friends, or maybe a Colonial Ghost Tour will do the trick! As the saying goes, life begins at the end of your comfort zone! This month, break your own boundaries and find ways to thrive in uncharted territory.
- Set aside time to disconnect for an hour or two. Stay off your phone, computer or any other devices, and find ways to be productive while off the grid. You can dedicate some time to reading a book you’ve been procrastinating, try doing some yoga/stretching or maybe experimenting with some new arts and crafts!
(Hint-hint, the Activities Center at King’s Creek has everything from painting, sand art and essential oils, to awesome trivia, jeopardy and board games!)
WEEK 4: February 22 – February 28
As you commence into week 4…:
- Try and find ONE thing you can organize— it can be your room, car, purse or anything else that feels cluttered! This is such a small thing, but it can make a big difference in your day-to-day life. Gaining control of one facet of your life can make a chaotic schedule feel a little more orderly!
- Set the goal to learn something new this week. You’ll be sure to accomplish this if you visit Williamsburg, the home of living history! Plan a trip to the Historic Triangle to travel back in time for some educational fun. Visit the Colonial Williamsburg for everything from hands-on activities and guided tours of original 18th-century buildings to unmatched folk-art collection. In Historic Jamestowne, you can visit the original site of the first permanent English settlement in America and investigate their archaeological finds. Finally, the triangle is complete with a trip to Yorktown Battlefield to explore the site of the last major battle of the Revolutionary War.
LEAP YEAR BONUS DAY!
You’ve made it to the end of February! And with there being 366 days this year, we think you should do something special with your bonus day on February 29th!
We recommend gathering some friends to celebrate and cheers to your success in completing the challenge! Stop by the Williamsburg Winery, on the southern side of Williamsburg proper, where you can wine, dine and relax in over 50 acres of vineyard.
If kicking back with a cold one sounds like a more appropriate celebration, we recommend Alewerks Brewing Company. Alewerks has been brewing award-winning authentic, craft beer in Williamsburg since 2006! With over 16 beers on tap, you can choose from a selection of seasonal, specialty, limited and year-round brew options!
Congratulations on all of the tiny victories throughout this month of self-improvement. Whatever your celebration may be, we hope this bonus day makes you leap into action with the year you have ahead. Make 2020 your best year yet!